How To: Safely Use a Space Heater
Space heaters can be a great way to add extra heat to a room on those brutally cold days. However, when used inappropriately, they can become a serious fire hazard. Here are a few tips on how to safely use a space heater this winter.
- Only buy newer models with current safety features and ensure the heater carries the Underwriters Laboratory (UL) label.
- Buy a space heater with a thermostat. This will ensure the unit turns off when the desired level of warmth is reached and prevent overheating.
- Don’t buy a heater too large for the room you wish to heat. Most heaters will have a sizing guide to let you know how big of a heater you need.
- Try to avoid using extension cords. If an extension cord must be used, make sure it is at least 14-gauge wire.
- Place the heater on a level surface. Keep away from foot traffic, pets and children.
- Purchase heaters with a tip over safety switch. These models ensure that, if the unit were to tip over, it would automatically turn off.
STAY WARM THIS WINTER! FOR EMERGENCY HEATING SERVICES, CALL US 24/7